Friday, August 20, 2010

Spritz, Glimmer, and a Mid-Month Challenge

Have I ever been having fun with KnK's September kit! The uber-cool Krafty Collection from Paper Trunk just begs to be sprayed and colored with just about anything you can think of! With these layouts I used Smooch Spritz (which I am told will very soon be available in the KNK Shopping Mall) in Emerald and Glimmer Mist (already available) in Frosty Nights. Now, you can see that I may have gotten a bit carried away on this first one... see where my paper wrinkled? I didn't really take into consideration the weight of the paper, as I should have, before I started spraying. The Kraft papers aren't super-light, but they aren't as heavy as say, Bazzill might be. So if you've never really gotten acquainted with sprays and want to give it a try, keep this in mind before you start spritzing away on a favorite piece of paper! Especially if you are a perfectionist (which clearly I am not LOL) Here's a close-up of one of the fun flowers I made with the Crafty Chronicle...
For this next layout I really wanted to think of a different way to showcase my photos. I happened to be looking through one of my old albums... an 8x8 one that I did when I first began scrapbooking. While most of the pages were filled with a picture, a title, and a couple stickers, one caught my eye in which I had taken a photo of my daughter and created a sunflower around it. I remember being particularly proud of that page, too! While it lacked any kind of technique or finesse, the idea itself was exactly what I was looking for. So instead of layering a bunch of different patterned papers behind my pictures, I made a template for two different flower petals and began tracing and cutting.... and tracing and cutting.... and tracing... and cutting...
... ok, yes it took forever to get them all cut out! But once I did the flowers went together pretty quickly. The only thing I would have done differently is to put my photos on after the flowers were assembled. I ended up with quite a few fingerprints on my photos.

The quote and dictionary text were both cut from the Crafty Chronicle, and I used a few of the Paperie die-cuts for the date-tag and in the banner at the bottom of the page.


So, I know you are all waiting with baited breath to see if I will have a mid-month challenge, aren't you? LOL If you're not, that's ok, if you are, here it is:
Go back through your old albums and recreate something. Not like scraplifting a whole page, but just some element on a page that you really loved then, and make it new with your experience and different techniques you've learned since. Clear as mud? And naturally, I want to see the "THEN" and the "NOW". Post a link to your pics in a comment to this post! You have til the first of the month. Happy scrapping :)

2 comments: